Through the Wisconsin Author Project, made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services, libraries are helping local authors get the recognition they deserve for writing great books. Wisconsin residents who are authors of self-published adult or young adult fiction will be invited to submit their work. One winner will receive $1,000, a write-up in Library Journal’s December Best of Books print issue and Library Journal’s Digital Review, be honored at ALA Midwinter 2019 THRIVE event in Seattle, and be invited to speak at the Wisconsin Library Association Annual Conference in October. One runner-up will receive a write-up in Library Journal’s Digital Review and an invitation to speak at the Wisconsin Library Association Annual Conference in October.
Submissions are due June 30th. The submitted books will be reviewed by staff at Library Journal and by members of a WLA committee. The winner and runner up with be announced this fall.
For more information or to submit a book for consideration, visit the Wisconsin Author Project website. For more about the project, watch this recording of the April 9th webinar with BiblioBoard or view the slides.
If you'd like to promote this contest to your community, here are some marketing materials to use:
- Press release template
- Writers' groups email template (click here to see a list of potential writers' groups to reach out to, in addition to any local ones you may know about)
- Wisconsin Author Project logo (the page may appear black but the logo is black text on a transparent background; if your image viewer background is also black it will look like nothing is there! Either look closely in the middle of the screen to find it or right click and save the logo image above.)
- Printable Flyer
- Printable Poster
- Other marketing collateral (Google Drive folder of alternate logos and images)
In the coming weeks, we will be introducing some more tools and collections for Wisconsin authors and readers, including Pressbooks, SELF-e, and digital collections from BiblioBoard. If you'd like to learn more, register to attend one of two upcoming webinars with BiblioBoard (they will be the same presentation):
- Tuesday, April 24th at 1:00 pm: Recording coming soon!
- Tuesday, May 8th at 1:00 pm: Register to attend
These webinars will be recorded and shared. If you have any questions, contact email@example.com.